Welcome to the Building Biology Course IBN. It has been the backbone of the certificate program to become a “Building Biology Consultant IBN” since 1977. The main mission of the program is to educate and promote competence in the field of healthy, sustainable, and holistic building practices as well as natural lifestyles.
Since its inception, about 7,000 people have successfully completed the Building Biology Course worldwide—not only in Germany, but also in France, Italy, Japan, Spain, and the USA. Since 2016, the IBN has been offering the Building Biology Course in English.
The Building Biology Course IBN provides an interdisciplinary educational opportunity for building professionals such as architects, engineers, technicians, tradespeople, staff members of construction companies, building material manufacturers and suppliers, housing agencies, building management companies, as well as (environmental medicine) health care professionals, but also for students from e.g. technical colleges and homeowners.
Even if you do not have any relevant previous knowledge in this field, you can take the Building Biology Course after consultation with the IBN. The study of building biology will increase your competence in the field of healthy, sustainable, and holistic building practices as well as open up new career opportunities.
E-learning offers the following advantages:
- Available worldwide from any browser, even while traveling
- Current and relevant contents (videos, references, links…)
- Sharing ideas, experiences, and resources with other students via the forum
- Chats with experts
- Easy learning with multiple choice questions
The contents of the Building Biology Course is science-based, but also practice-based. The information is presented in a clear and easy-to-understand format. The basic knowledge of building biology is provided in 20 different course modules.
- Here you can find the complete tables of contents.
- Guest access with more information and accesses to course modules “Indoor Climate” and “Practicing Building Biology”. Please be aware that the interactive functions are not available when using the guest access.
The Building Biology Course can be started at the beginning of every month and usually takes about one year to complete. Upon completion, you receive a certificate of participation.
Currently, the course fee is €2,100 (payable in one or two installments, to each €1,100)
The following students receive a 20% discount:
- Married couples, common law couples, and comparable life partnerships
- University and college students
For staff members of companies, special discounts can be negotiated individually. After payment has been received, you will receive your access code to the Building Biology Course IBN.
There are additional fees for accompanying seminars and the final examination. These fees can slightly vary between the IBN and its Partner Institutes. More detailed and current information is available in the Participation Agreement or other documents from the IBN Partner Institutes.
STEP 1: Sign the Participation Agreement
If you would like to sign up for the Building Biology Course, download, print and complete the Participation Agreement (PDF). You are eligible to cancel this agreement within 14 days after signing without giving reasons (Notice of Cancellation).
STEP 2: Payment
As a student of the Building Biology Course, you receive an invoice after having sent the signed agreement form to the IBN (by mail, email, or fax). You also can pay by PayPal:
STEP 3: Enrollment
After payment of the course fee has been received and the 14-day notice period of cancellation (see “Notice of Cancellation (PDF)” in the sidebar) has lapsed, the online access to the Building Biology Course will be activated and you will receive your credentials to access the Building Biology Course.
Designation of a “Building Biology Consultant IBN”
If you would like to earn the designation of a “Building Biology Consultant IBN”, you will have to take IBN-approved accompanying seminars and a final examination in addition to completing the online course.
The final examination has to be written within 6 to 24 months of starting the Building Biology Course. We therefore recommend that you sign up for the accompanying seminars at the same time at which you start the Building Biology Course or soon thereafter. You have the following two options:
- IBN Partner Institutes: The IBN works together with Partner Institutes across the world; you can pick whichever you like. If you do not live in Germany or if you are not proficient in German, we recommend you contact any one of our English Partner Institutes and use their services. Our Partner Institutes operate independently of us and offer different services. Contact them directly to find out details.
- Directly at the IBN: If none of the IBN Partner Institutes is an option for you, the Institute of Building Biology + Sustainability IBN also offers accompanying seminars and examinations in English in Germany. You can find out more information here.
What comes after the completion of the Building Biology Course?
The Building Biology Course is designed in such a way that it lends itself not only to learning, but also serves as a continually updated reference tool. Therefore, we also offer permanent access to the online version for graduates of the Building Biology Course. Furthermore, some IBN Partner Institutes provide additional consultation, information, and continuing education opportunities for qualified Building Biology Consultants IBN.